On Tuesday, March 4, 2015, a fire at the Port of Metro Vancouver ignited inside a shipping container located at the Centerm terminal. A bleaching agent and industrial disinfectant, called trichloroisocyanuric acid, was in the shipping container but the Vancouver Fire Department does not yet know how the fire started. The fire spread to a few surrounding containers and firefighters struggled to access the blaze, which was buried in container stacks.
The fire has largely been contained with a few flare-ups occurring overnight; however, health officials warn that the burning chemical can cause eye and skin irritations. The Centerm terminal and nearby port properties, including all south shore port operations, have been temporarily shut down including rail and truck access. A shelter-in-place order advised yesterday afternoon has now been lifted as smoke dissipates from the area. Updates on the fire at Centerm terminal can be found on the Port of Metro Vancouver’s website. Please contact your local Deringer service center for guidance regarding any impact to your shipments.