Highway carriers should be careful to follow the Free and Secure Trade (FAST) lane requirements during this busy shipping season. US Customs and Border Protection reminded carriers to follow FAST guidance in a July Customs Trade Partnership Against Terrorism (CTPAT) Alert.
The reminder included these points and others:
- Follow all FAST and CTPAT program requirements, such as ensuring all vehicle occupants are in possession of a valid FAST ID prior to reaching the US border.
- Transmit an electronic manifest using CBP’s ACE e-manifest system for bobtails and empty containers/trailers prior to arrival at the border.
- Use the crossing carrier’s SCAC Code, even when the shipment has been subcontracted.
- Ensure all security and agricultural inspections have been carried out.
- Alert the company’s management of delays, threats, or credible suspicions.
Additional CTPAT information can be found on the CTPAT portion of CBP’s site.